Sunday, January 25, 2009

"The Shack"


Ever since my senior pastor mentioned and recommended reading "The Shack" by Wm. Paul Young at church last summer, many people within my circle of friends have read it and have been affected by it. Being one to not jump on every bandwagon that comes around, I've been resistant to reading the book. Finally, curiosity got the best of me, and I finally took the time to read it. Taking a break from my kitchen makeover, I resolved to finish "The Shack" this afternoon. I just finished reading it and my response is an overwhelming "WOW!"

Briefly, and without giving anything away, this fictional story centers around Mack and the loss and anger he experiences following the abduction of his six-year old daughter Missy. Mack is eventually invited by "God" to the shack where evidence of his daughter's possible murder was found several years earlier, in northeastern Oregon. Against his better judgment, Mack makes the trip to the shack, alone. And it is here that he is changed forever.

While reading the "The Shack" I went through an array of emotions: anger, horror, laughter, tears of both sorrow and joy. I was challenged by the characters in the story. I was drawn in. Whether you are a strong believer in God or a person of little faith or somewhere in between, I recommend this book to you. If there is only one work of fiction you read all year, let it be "The Shack." It will have a profound affect on you.

To quote from chapter 16-A Morning of Sorrows: "Don't ever discount the wonder of your tears. They can be healing waters and a stream of joy. Sometimes they are the best words a heart can speak." I love that!

6 comments:

  1. Dropping by from SITS to say good morning! Sounds like a very intriguing book, I might just have to pick it up! Have a beautiful day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've heard several people say wonderful things about it - but i haven't read it yet myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep thinking I need to read that book, but the circumstances of the story are just so hard and close to home for me. I'm not sure i want to read it. One of these days, maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard about that one before. I may have to add it to my collection. I always love books that make me cry -- odd, I know, but what can I do? :)

    And thank you so much for coming to visit my blog. Today has been so much fun and so lovely to see the response and fun comments. I really appreciate it. I hope you enjoyed my blog and come back to visit soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last summer I was looking for a book to read, and I almost purchased this book. I thought I would get it later. Well...I forgot about it until now. It is now on my must get book!!

    Thanks for the reminder.

    Come on over and visit me. I'm like you, and pretty new to this blogging. I'm hosting a give away until tomorrow. It's simple. Come and enter.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dropping by from SITS to say hello! Thanks for the book recommendation. I have been looking for a new book to read. It sounds like it will be a good book. And if I read Twilight again, my husband will think I am crazy :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.